Hi angels,
As we all know, vintage always makes a comeback.
Through the years, we have always loved looking back in time, bringing the old into the new.
We get inspired by fashion from different eras, and we compare ourselves to our grandparents' generation who only read newspapers. We feel sentimental watching old movies (even black and white ones) and we certainly love bringing an old bop back to the present. We look at photos of our younger selves and truly believe we were prettier, skinnier, or had our lives completely together back then. We reminisce about the past as if everything back then was perfect.
We like to get all cosy in the feeling of nostalgia and for some reason, we are all yearners who just can't let go.
And maybe that's why we deeply sympathise with fictional characters who are yearners at heart (yes, I'm still trying to get over Conrad Fisher from The Summer I Turned Pretty). |
| TSITP |
Yearning is like a warm blanket wrap
ped around you on a cold winter morning; one of those mornings when you actually have to get up and leave the house for work. You wish you never had to leave, and you promise yourself you'll be right back in bed with that warm duvet that turns you into a burrito.
And my mind loves to be a deliciously fat burrito.
I realized that my entire life, my favorite movies, books, and shows have been about romantic partners who lost each other and found their way back. The Notebook, The Vow, Jane Austen’s Persuasion, The Summer I Turned Pretty, Love, Rosie (probably my absolute favorite), and The Lake House, to name a few. (If you have a yearning soul, go watch these right now with a box of tissues). I started connecting the dots with my own past relationships. I realized how sometimes I wished more for the time apart from my partner (whether it was physical distance or the mental space during a breakup) just so I could experience the comeback. The comeback, to me, was the most romantic part. That sense of falling in love all over again with the same person, the physical tingling when you see them again, the reality of never truly getting over them... that is what I always considered true love.
And yes, I've looked deeper than that, it was definitely a romanticised trauma response. But that’s a story for another day.
I've realized there is no such thing as FOMO of the future. There is only FOMO of the past.Nostalgia is the fear of never living a specific memory again, clinging to a moment where nothing had to change because everything was exactly as perfect as it was supposed to be.
This is a safe space for us angels who love to delve deep into our own minds.
Pull up a blanket, grab a hot drink, and stay a while. We don't have to leave the warmth just yet.
Yours from the quiet hours,
A Delulu Nostalgic Angel
No comments:
Post a Comment